Sunday, May 12, 2013

Completed Skeleton unit plus review of Caesar Miniatures Skeletons

Hello. Finished up the last of my skeleton batch, and I feel it is ready to be declared finished:


I used a sepia wash over a bone color and painted everything simply to make sure I finished without using a lot of effort. The painting isn't fancy but its a decent tabletop standard by my book.

As for a review of the Caesar Miniatures Skeletons kit, I suppose I should break a review down in to three simple parts: 'Quality', in terms of posing and materials. 'Value', in cost per model, and finally 'Uniqueness', in terms of availability of other kits or options. Crude but effective. I suppose I'll rank models by a scale of 1 through 5. The scale will work with 1 being rather Terrible, 2 being Adequate, 3 being Good, 4 being Great and 5 being truly Excellent

Caesar Miniatures Undead Warriors (Skeletons): Scale 1/72 Fantasy

Quality: 3/5 (Good)

The quality of these figures are nice with sharp details that easily take to washes or drybrushing. Minor mold line removal will be necessary but not a particular burden as the material scrapes away easily. Poses are repeated but easily rectified with arm/head/weapons swaps.

Value: 4/5 (Great)

While the exact price of what I payed for these guys eludes me I recall it being close to 10$, give or take a couple bucks. The kit is roughly half skeletons with a few extra robed skeletons (with scythes), a few necromancers, a standard bearer and some passable Dracula ripoffs. The box is a great value.

Uniqueness: 5/5 (Excellent)

In addition to providing much needed 1/72 skeletons (being some of the only ones available) the kit also includes 4 robed necromancers/magic users (which are somewhat rare in 1/72 fantasy) as well as 8 robed skeletal 'reapers' that can make for excellent wraiths or some such (again, virtually impossible to find otherwise). The lack of competition clearly warrants a rating of 'excellent', there merely is no competing with this kit. Hopefully someone will take a crack at it in the future, though.

Overall Rating: Great!

Next up: Twilight Creation 'Zombies!!!' for use in 1/72. Remember folks, support your local necromancer!

-BFH

4 comments:

  1. Nice start.
    There´s a new Forum starting up soon for 1/72nd related Blogs (run by Benno ..Bennos figures Forum)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bennos has been an excellent source of inspiration for me in the past so I'll make sure to check it out.

      Thanks!

      -BFH

      Delete
  2. Nice Caesar skeletons! Glad to find another 1/72 fantasy enthusiast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. +1 !
    It seems that we are a few 1/72 fantasy lovers !
    Welcome in the Club "Blaster for Hire" !!

    ... and well done on the figures : excellent painting work !
    (I add your blog on my blog roll!)

    ReplyDelete